Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Really Albert?

So Albert Haynesworth now has rhabdomyolysis. I'm familiar with this condition from statin drugs. Baycol was removed from the market because it was thought to produce this condition in patients who were just trying to lower their cholesterol. Along with that lower cholesterol came kidney failure, paralysis and bunch of other stuff that was just bad news. Now a professional athlete supposedly has a condition that usually is a result of a catastrophic event or ill advised prescriptions.


I am going to confess right now that I have understood Haynesworth's position. I played the 3-technique tackle that Haynesworth has traditionally played. I also played the nose when it was required by the defensive call. The positions cannot be more different. I liken it to being a wide receiver in a spread offense as opposed to being a wide receiver in an option attack. It's that different. A receiver in a spread attack is most concerned with running patterns. He needs quickness and precision. He will get to make plays. He can play at a smaller weight. Compare that to the receivers in an option attack. They need to be larger because their primary responsibility is blocking. They need to be physical and big. The same concepts apply to defensive tackle and nose. If you are a 3-technique, you are a playmaker; you can rely on quickness. You don't have to be as large. You move around and are free to wreak havoc in the backfield. When you are a nose, you take on blockers. Lots of blockers. You take on the center. You take on the guards. You take on the fullback. You have to be larger. Essentially, you are a live version of a blocking sled that is just in the way of offensive linemen so the linebackers can run free. It isn't really that fun. All this to say I understand Albert just not being that into playing nose.

I also understand not passing the conditioning test. The 300 yard shuttle does not test how physically fit you are. It tests how much you practiced the test. During my junior year of college, my college team implemented this conditioning test. I failed. I failed even though that year I was in the best shape of my life. I knew I was in great shape so I didn't practice running the shuttle. That was a bad decision. I failed miserably. However, I had no problem finishing each gasser within the allotted time after every practice that year. I also had the best season of my career. The 300 yard shuttle does not test anything relevant to playing defensive line at any level. It’s really just another reason for coaches to yell at the fat guys.

Anyway, as you can see, I felt for the plight of Haynesworth. Not anymore. He lost me with this new medical condition. With all the physicals that pro athletes have, it is asinine to allege that Haynesworth now has a serious medical condition. So you've lost me Big Al. Get your butt to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment