Saturday, December 25, 2010

Vick for MVP?

So the other day I got into this debate on twitter about Mike Vick and the potential that he could win league MVP. Now if you watch pro football objectively, there is no way Vick is not top 3 in your MVP rankings. If he's not then you haven't been paying attention. Or perhaps you are one of those people who think Vick should have been banned from the league forever then of course you are freaking out about the possibility that Vick could get any award. The person I debated with said they did not like the "moral bankruptcy of America."  Wow. Just Wow.

I think I may be alone in my view of sports. If my favorite team loses, it does not ruin my day or my weekend. Don't get me wrong. I'm an avid sport's fan. I watch all the major sports and a ton of random college stuff too. I just have sports in proper perspective. Its entertainment. All I care about is being entertained. I couldn't care less what athletes do in their personal lives. If the league says they are eligible then I watch them perform. The NFL ruled Mike Vick eligible, therefore I will continue to enjoy watching him perform. I am not morally bankrupt, I just don't view athletes with any heightened level of scrutiny. They play a game. I enjoy watching those games. That's the extent of the relationship.

For those who think that Vick should be banned for life, there are two players who were convicted of DUI manslaughter who are playing in the league. Regardless, the leagues hands are really tied in these situations. Pro athletes aren't in a position of trust. They don't have a fiduciary duty to anyone. Their jobs consist of manual physical labor. They are essentially construction workers. They do not require a license to perform their duties. It would be a hard sell legally to ban these athletes for life.

Its funny how are culture treats the various celebrities. Bad behavior by musicians makes them more popular. Bad behavior by actors is either applauded or overlooked. Bad behavior by athletes is routinely admonished. I have never understood the different standard for athletes. Perhaps its the raw emotion that sports produces. I just don't get it.

With all that said, Vick should be a MVP candidate. Right now, I have Tom Brady first, Vick second and Matt Ryan third. It will be interesting to see how this trio performs down the stretch.

2 comments:

  1. I could not have said this better myself. I used to live and die with Cowboys wins/losses back in the day. Now, I'm such a fan of the game that I rarely get mad (except that game they decided to quit on Wade Phillips against the Pack irked me). I'm a football fan first, 'Boys fan second. People at work can't figure me out because they'll tease me about a 'Boys loss and it doesn't bother me.

    As for MVP, I'm all about what happens on the field. If a does something off the field to get suspended and hurt their team, then I have a problem. Vick has not done that this season. He did his time and paid the price. I think it's a shame that people showed up to protest him, but won't protest a rape or murder trial.

    Give me Brady at #1, but I like Matt Cassel going 3000+ yds, 27 tds and only 5 picks with a team no one projected to win 6 games, yet alone win the division. I like Vick third.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brady is the most consistent player and will win the MVP but the most exciting and controversial player is Vick. He is a polarzing figure either you love or hate him. Real football fans can respect his growth as a player from his days in Atl when he couldn't read a high school defense to now as he is picking teams apart. The only reason ANYONE doesn't like this man is the dog incident. We live in a nation of second chances and I'm glad he is taking full advantage of his. Cassel has sneaked into the conversasion but i still say Vick has to be second on the list.

    ReplyDelete