Sunday, January 23, 2011

Recapturing my fandom...

During the period that I was a football coach, I lost my fandom. I didn't actively cheer for any team. I still watched all sports but just not with the same passion. I wanted to see well played games and that was it. All my energy and passion was saved for my team and that was a total investment.

Now that I am a few years removed from the sideline, my fandom is coming back. It's kinda cool to have the excitement and anticipation back. I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting to open presents waiting for these games today. And make no mistake, I'm a fan today. My picks today are straight fan picks. I love the Jets. I love their arrogance. I love the talk. I love that they back it up. I get excited by this team. So I'm rooting for this team today. I would love to see them in the Super Bowl. Wouldn't they have the best game-week interviews ever? 

In the other game, I'm rooting for the Bears. The 85 Bears are my favorite team ever. As a child, it was the first football game in which I watched the complete game. Since then, the Bears have always held a special place in my heart. I also would like to see Lovie Smith get to another Super Bowl. Perhaps then he would get some respect as a good coach. He has got to be the least respected coach that made a Super Bowl ever. In the pre-season coaches rankings, he was ranked 20th. Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Mike Singletary, Brad Childress, Gary Kubiac and Tony Sparano all ranked higher than Lovie. That's ridicuous. So I'm rooting for Lovie. Lastly, I have several relatives that live in Chi-town so it will be cool to see the Bears in the Super Bowl again.

My mind tells me that the Packers and the Steelers are the better teams. However, I'd love to see the Bears and Jets win. Bring on the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment