Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Three Cheers for the Yankee Captain

I have never liked the Yankees. Their obnoxious fans and loudmouth owner forever turned me off. Plus during my formative years, they just weren't any good. Throughout the 80s, they were a team in constant turmoil. George Steinbrenner feuded with his players, constantly fired his managers and even got exiled from Major League Baseball. But all this changed in the 90s when the Yanks called up a slew of stud young players.  These players would lead the Yankees back to prominence and end up dominating the 90s. Most prominent among those players was Derek Sanderson Jeter.

Over the weekend, Jeter became the first Yankee to ever get 3000 hits. He did it with same class and flair for the dramatic that he has always exhibited throughout his career. Jeter should be commended for always playing the game hard and being a consummate pro. So while I still can't stand the Yankees and still think most of their fans are completely obnoxious, I'll give Jeter a tip of the cap for a career that has redefined what it means to be great. Congratulations Derek.

2 comments:

  1. Look who's back! How's WP treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it seems that my Blogger only has the issues on my laptop. It let's me post but won't let me view the blog page. Oh well. I will be back postings especially since football season is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete